Minimum Spanning Tree

wbrigg

So i have a table of "Galaxies".

The columns are ID, Name, x, y, z

And a Table of "Wormholes"

The columns are ID, Start, End, Length, MST, Active

I already have bits of PHP to populate the Galaxies Table (it just pus random numbers into x,y,z. ID auto increments)

I also have PHP which fills the Wormholes table with entries such that there is a "Wormhole" from each Galaxy, to every other Galaxy. It also fills in the Length information (just pythag.)

I have this:

//Make lengths array
$query = mysql_query("SELECT ID FROM Wormholes ORDER BY length ASC");
$wh_count = mysql_num_rows($query);
$length = mysql_fetch_array($query);	
echo($length['id']);

//Print shortest WH and it's stats.
$WH = mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query('SELECT * FROM Wormholes WHERE ID='.$length[0]));
echo "Shortest Wormhole: ".$WH['ID']."<br />";
echo "Start: ".$WH['Start']."<br />";  
echo "End: ".$WH['End']."<br />";
echo "Length: ".$WH['Length']."<br />";

//Add shortest WH to the MST
$update = 'UPDATE Wormholes SET MST=1 WHERE ID='.$length[0];
$result = mysql_query($update);
$mst = array($WH['Start'],$WH['End']);

To find the shortest Wormhole and designate it as where my Minimum Spanning Tree will Start from. And it works fine. The problem i have is the next bit;

Then i wrote this bit:

$selectWHs1 = mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query('SELECT ID From Wormwholes WHERE Start ='.$mst.' && End != '.$mst.'ORDER BY Length ASC'));
$selectWHs2 =mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query( 'SELECT ID From Wormwholes WHERE Start !='.$mst.' && End = '.$mst.'ORDER BY Length ASC'));
$newshort = min($selectWHs[0],$selectWHs2[0]);
$update = 'UPDATE Wormholes SET MST=1 WHERE ID='.$newshort;
$WH = mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query('SELECT * FROM Wormholes WHERE ID='.$newshort));
$mst = array_unique(array_push($mst, $wH['Start'], $wH['End']));

Which i planned to repeat with until there are no Rows returned from the $selectWHs1 or $selectWHs2 queries. I want it to find rows where either the Start OR the End is in the array $mst. but i'm guessing i've gone about it the wrong way.

These are the errors i get:

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in C:\xampp\htdocs\UG\MST.php on line 59

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in C:\xampp\htdocs\UG\MST.php on line 60

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in C:\xampp\htdocs\UG\MST.php on line 63

Warning: array_unique() [function.array-unique]: The argument should be an array in C:\xampp\htdocs\UG\MST.php on line 64

Warning: array_count_values() [function.array-count-values]: The argument should be an array in C:\xampp\htdocs\UG\MST.php on line 70

Number of entries in $mst array: Wormholes in the Minimum Spanning Tree: 1

I'm guessing they all stem from the problem with $selectWHs1 and $selectWHs2 not being arrays.

Help?

As in i have to write

$selectWHs1 = mysql_query('SELECT ID From Wormwholes WHERE Start ='.$mst.' && End != '.$mst.'ORDER BY Length ASC');
$selectWHs1 = mysql_fetch_array($selectWHs1);

instead of

$selectWHs1 = mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query('SELECT ID From Wormwholes WHERE Start ='.$mst.' && End != '.$mst.'ORDER BY Length ASC'));

?!

Really? i've done it like this before

ah, didn't see that mysql_query in there. the problem is probably that mysql_query is failing. i suggest that you break stuff out so you can get any errors and debug easier:

$sql = "SELECT * FROM some_table";
$result = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error(). " error in $sql");
$selectWHs1 = mysql_fetch_array($result);

this error means you are trying to use mysql_fetch_array() on a failed query:

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in C:\xampp\htdocs\UG\MST.php on line 59

if you echo out the error caused in mysql_query, it will give you a clue where the error in your SQL is.

$sql = 'SELECT ID From Wormwholes WHERE Start ='.$mst.' && End != '.$mst.'ORDER BY Length ASC';
$result = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error(). " error in $sql");
$selectWHs1 = mysql_fetch_array($result);

shortcuts might look neat, but they hose you if you've got an error in the code.

I echo'd the MySQL query:

SELECT ID From Wormwholes WHERE Start =Array AND End != Array ORDER BY Length ASC

so the $mst isn't coming up as a list of entries, just stating what it is.

if i made it so the mysql was

SELECT ID From Wormwholes WHERE Start =$a,$b,$c,$d AND End !=$a,$b,$c,$d ORDER BY Length ASC

would it select all the rows where the columns where $a OR $b OR $c OR etc.

or would i have to make it so it printed

SELECT ID From Wormwholes WHERE Start =$a OR $b OR $c OR $d AND End !=$a OR $b OR $c OR $d ORDER BY Length ASC

Or would all the ORs and ANDs interfere with one another?

'SELECT ID From Wormwholes WHERE Start ='.$mst.' AND End != '.$mst.'ORDER BY Length ASC'

All i want to do is make it select a new "wormhole" where either the start or the end is shared with one of the current ones, and arrange them in order of length.

instead of inserting a single value into the SQL, you are inserting an array. you need to reference a specific element of the array, not the entire array. something more like...

$sql = "SELECT ID From Wormwholes WHERE Start ='".$WH['Start']."' AND End != '".$WH['End']."' ORDER BY Length ASC";

is there any way i can reference it against all the elements of the array?

i think i'm going to try adding another column and have a little bit of code which runs through all the rows changing it to a 1 if it has either, and a zero if neither or both.

then have WHERE specialcolumn=1 in the mysql.

$selectWHs1 = mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query('SELECT ID From Wormwholes WHERE Start IN '.$mst.' AND End NOT IN '.$mst.' ORDER BY Length ASC'));

That's not working though...

i need to be able to do both checks at the same time or it's useless to me.

okay i'm going about it a different way now;

$h=0;
While($h<= $galaxycount-1){
$i=0;
While($i+1<= count($mst)){
$j=$i+1;
While($j+1<= count($mst)){
	$whinmst = mysql_query('UPDATE Wormholes SET check=1 WHERE Start='.$mst[$i].' AND WHERE End!='.$mst[$j]);
	$j=$j+1;
}
$i=$i+1;
}
$WH = mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query('SELECT ID FROM Wormholes WHERE check=1 ORDER BY Length ASC'));
mysql_query('UPDATE Wormholes SET MST=1 WHERE ID='.$WH[0]);
$startend = mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query('SELECT Start,End FROM Wormholes WHERE ID='.$WH[0]));
$mst = sort(array_unique(array_push($mst, $startend['Start'], $startend['End'])));
mysql_query('UPDATE Wormholes SET check=0');
$h=$h+1;
}

$mst starts off as an array with the start and finish of the first WH in the Minimum spanning tree.

It still doesn't work though  ??? help ???

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.