Help setting up Apache

uraknai

Hi,

I'm currently working as a web designer at a school and have been asked to look into the possibility of hosting our own website from with the school. I have setup a LAMP server running Ubuntu Server Edition and uploaded my website to the /var/www folder. This website is then viewable on the Local Network by typing the servers IP addess (10.122.164.6) into a networked computers brower window. So far, so good.

The next stage is allowing access from the outside world, first via the schools IP and the by a domain name. I have contacted our ISP and just need to provide them with the schools IP, the servers IP and port number for them to forward requests from the internet to the server for them to set it up. What I need to know is -

1. If I buy a domain name, how do I point this domain name to the school IP address (and therefore the webserver since requests to this IP address will be forwarded to that of the server)

2. At the moment the Apache config file is unchanged from when it was installed. Will I need to make any changes to the config files (in particular <virtual host> configs) for when the server is available on the internet.

Cheers,

Nick

1.  You will have to have the domain point towards a nameserver, and the nameserver will have to tell the client the school's IP address.  In a basic form, it goes client -> DNS -> nameserver (gives IP address here) -> final server

(There can be multiple hops in the DNS chain, but that would complicate the example ;p)

2.  If the only site that you will have will be the main one, you don't need virtualhosts.

Depending on how much traffic the site is going to have at one time, you may need to adjust some performance settings, but besides that, you won't have to mod the Apache config.

Just of curiosity, how is the ISP setting up the redirect?  Do they control the hostname or something???

Depending on how much traffic the site is going to have at one time, you may need to adjust some performance settings, but besides that, you won't have to mod the Apache config.

Just of curiosity, how is the ISP setting up the redirect?  Do they control the hostname or something???

I'm not too sure how it works for the school but I think our conenction to the outside world (and the outside world to us) goes through the coucil. So I had to contact the 'grid for learning' who are a council department that deal with our internet etc. and they are the people that will set up the redirect.....I think :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.