Update Feature

ChompGator

Hey there,

I have a script that updates the users password. Its simple right now, Ill add more to it once I get this part working...Right now you can go to a page, enter your new password, hit submit and the script submits...However, its not updating in the MySQL database...It should be though - the script isn't returning any errors or anything...

<?php 
session_start();

$host="***"; // Host name 
$username="***"; // Mysql username 
$password="***"; // Mysql password 
$db_name="***"; // Database name

// Connect to DB
mysql_connect ( $host, $username, $password, $db_name)or die("Could not connect: ".mysql_error());

mysql_select_db($db_name); 
$password=$_POST['password']; 
$sql = "UPDATE users SET password='$password' WHERE uid = '{$_SESSION['uid']}'";

// Step 3 
$result = mysql_query($sql) or die ( .mysql_error() ); 
?>

Any thoughts on why this isn't working?

Well, password is the mysql password, not a password being sent in from the request. You have a period before mysql_error(). I'd do an: echo "id is {$_SESSION['uid']}" and make sure that has a valid value.

Hey, thanks for the response, Ill do an echo, and let me ask one thing though, what do you mean by,

"Password is the mysql password, not a password being sent int from the request"  ?

Anyway let me know - thanks!

Yeah, you never set $password equal to $_REQUEST['password'], you set it equal to "***". You have a password for the mysql database and a password for the user, but your getting them confused because you named them both password.

Clearly you missed this line:

Oh, I see I see

- so - the script things Im calling $password from above when I declared it to connect to the database, when Im not calling that...

Thanks!!

- Jeff

No no no, they didn't see the line where you set $password to the correct value.

Did you remove the . from before mysql_error()?

Ok, thank god because I still haven't got it working - and that didn't work- so I changed it all back...Yeah I removed the .

Here is the current script if you want to take a stab at it..I also included the form that the user fills out:

update.php

<?php session_start(); ?>
<form action="require.php" method="POST">
				Old Password:<br>
				<font face="Verdana" size="2">
	<input title="Your Google Toolbar can fill this in for you. Select AutoFill" tabindex="4" maxlength="90" size="39" name="oldpassword" style="height: 22px;" type="oldpassword"><br>
				<br>
				New Password</font>:
font face="Verdana" size="2">
	<input title="Your Google Toolbar can fill this in for you. Select AutoFill" tabindex="4" maxlength="90" size="39" name="password" style="height: 22px;" type="password">

require.php

<?php 
session_start();

$host=""; // Host name 
$username=""; // Mysql username 
$password=""; // Mysql password 
$db_name=""; // Database name

// Connect to DB
mysql_connect ( $host, $username, $password, $db_name)or die("Could not connect: ".mysql_error());

mysql_select_db($db_name); 
$sql = "UPDATE users SET pas = pass('$pass')". WHERE uid = '{$_SESSION['uid']}'";

// Step 3 
$result = mysql_query($sql) or die ( mysql_error() ); 
?>

That looks right Ill try it, - Make sure Im not backwards here...the form field for changing the password is called

password...

The column in the database where the passwords are stored is called pass

so should it be like this:

$sql = "UPDATE users SET password = pass('$pass') WHERE uid = '{$_SESSION['uid']}'";

Or should it be the way you put it?

$sql = "UPDATE users SET pass = pass('$pass') WHERE uid = '{$_SESSION['uid']}'";

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.