Set values on html page with php

jriggs

php beginner here.  I'm working on a registration form that will post some values to a php page, which in turn redirects to a thank you page.  I plan on using javascript to do some basic data validation, but I also will need to connect to a database to re-validate the data.  Suppose the form passes the javascript validation, but fails the db stuff on the php page:

- How would I redirect back to the html page, but automatically populate whatever fields the user has already filled in?  Is there a preferred method to accomplish this?  Thanks for any suggestions-

Could you not just have php write a quick js script instead of new page if error? i.e:

if(PASSED) { ... }

else { echo('<script type="text/javascript">window.location.history.back();</script>'); }

Oor something to that effect. I'm not sure about IE but with FF the browser automatically remembers the form information filled. Hope this helps!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.