[SOLVED] fight double barreled extensions

Brian W

Hello World,

I am trying to fight double barreled extensions, namely ones that are actually php files. I don't know why this is a big deal since if some on goes to the file they uploaded, for example file.php.jpg, they don't get to execute it as a .php file. But, the experts say double barreled bad so I listen. lol

I'm using

if ($_FILES['uploadedfile']['type'] == "application/octet-stream") {
echo "No PHP files please";
} else
{

to combat the normal use of PHP files.

From there, I haven't found a way to prevent double barreled extensions on the internet which is odd. I decided to try completing this task myself but I'm a noob and of course I encountered an issue.

$Filename = str_replace(".php", "", $_FILES['uploadedfile']['name']);
//Then I use $Filename everywhere else for the naming and moving

Seemed clever to me at first, then I realized it is case sensitive, file.PHP.jpg will get by. I could do it 9 times (there are 9 possibilities for capitalization combination), which would be best done in an array (which I'm not sure how to do) or is there a way to make ".php" non case sensitive?

Again, I don't understand why... if I try to open file.jpg, which really was file.php before changing it's name, I don't get to execute it, actually at least in my browser on my server it just displays the url. IDk

Please explain what kind of headache i'm getting myself into.

I found while google searching str_ireplace() and that is supposed to be case insensitive but it doesn't work at all, I get a Fatal Error.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.