IN NEED OF HELP

ngreenwood6

I have created a login for my website. It is working without a problem. When a user logs there username gets put into a session and they can view all the pages that they cannot when they arent logged in. However, I do not want users logging in twice with the same username. I have been trying to think of how I want to accomplish this but would like to know what your suggestions are. Please let me know how you would do it with maybe an example or tutorial.

Thanks in advance

I do and I have the username stored in the session but how would I use the database for this. The problem that I see is that when a user just closes the page it doesnt log them out hence not updating the database. Any suggestions? This is why I am so stumped! I know that there are websites out there that do this though.

Create a column... "logged" set it to either 0 or 1, and make a "lastAction" column that is updated every time a page loads, this will hold the time of the user's last action.

0 = logged out

1 = logged in

When a user logs in, check to make sure "logged" is not set to 1.

When a user logs out, change the 1 to a 0.

Now what if someone doesn't log out, and just closes the browser?

Make a cron job that runs every 1-5 minutes, it will check the "lastAction" column, and set all "logged" columns to 0 where the "lastAction" is greater than 5 minutes, or how ever long you want.

You will need to log a user out, if they have been idle for more than 5 minutes and come back, and are logged on somewhere else.

Hope this gets you started.

Ok thanks for the help guys I get what you are saying and I think I know what I am going to do. However, I want to set it so that when the visit the next page it sets the current time in the database. How could I easily implement that into each page so that I do not have to add that code to every page that they will be logged into?

The main thing that I dont know how to do is:

make a "lastAction" column that is updated every time a page loads

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.