Website address masking ideas?

evonet123

I need to be able to have one master website, my agents should be able to have masked version of the same website branded to their liking.

If i have mywebsite.com

my agents have tHe following websites:

getlucky.com

bagntag.com

ifeellucky.com

If anyone types in the above agent URLs into a browser it needs to show mywebsite.com but with certain sections being branded. i.e. the banner/logo, footer info etc (This will be done with mysql)

Any internal link needs to point to and show (in status bar) the URL typed in the address bar and NOT the actual mywebsite.com URL

My agents customers should not know they are actually on mywebsite.com

I have found that URL Frame Forwarding is a possible option, however several issues come into play:

Because it is a frame any PHP coding used to try and read the URL address bar seems to be mywebsite.com and not the actual URL typed in.

1. Is there a way to jump out the frame and read whats actually in the URL bar using php or js?

2. Frames pose problems for search engines?

Another option is aliasing, however my agents wont be able to get any emails as they will be alias's of mywebsite.com

So if one agent wanted sales@getlucky.com another agent such as bagnetag.com cant have sales@bagntag.com, because it is a duplicate of sales@mywebsite.com

We are hoping to use a dedicated server with Linux.

Any further ideas or help would be very much appreciated.

Make all the domains' DNS A records point to the same machine. Setup a vhost in Apache and have ServerName be mywebsite.com and ServerAlias be the other domains. You can then in your application check which site it is based on SERVER_NAME ($_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']) and theme it accordingly.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.