php5 and contact form

julieb

At first glance no changes are needed. Doesn't it work as expected?

Nope... my hosting company says they have php5 and the php file is for php4....I read online somewhere that the code should not read $ it should read post something... but I dont know anything about the codes..

thank you for responding:)

In your browser's window when you execute the script...

Strange...

Let's try another thing:

add this

echo "message: $message";
echo "<br/>";
echo "headers: $headers";

Just above

mail($sendTo, $subject, $message, $headers);

This way we'll see if message and headers are set up properly

How are running the script? I understand its a template but how is this script invoked?

There is nothing wrong with the script you have attached. PHP5 is backwards compatible with PHP4 code.

That script will not output anything as its not being told to output anything. All it does is send an email.

I saw the error message on my server.  This is what it said

[15-Sep-2008 18:04:01] PHP Notice:  Undefined index:  firstName in /home/webdesi/public_html/rentacoder/rd/email.php on line 32

[15-Sep-2008 18:04:01] PHP Notice:  Undefined index:  lastname in /home/webdesi/public_html/rentacoder/rd/email.php on line 32

[15-Sep-2008 18:04:01] PHP Notice:  Undefined index:  firstName in /home/webdesi/public_html/rentacoder/rd/email.php on line 32

[15-Sep-2008 18:04:01] PHP Notice:  Undefined index:  lastname in /home/webdesi/public_html/rentacoder/rd/email.php on line 32

I am assuming line 32 is incorrect??

Any suggestions... thank you so much!

Ok. So you're using it together with a Flash (which makes it a little bit more complicated for me)

Anyway, the mail.php expects to be fed with

firstName

lastname

email

While your contact form has these fields

Name

Company

Phone

They aren't exactly the same, are they?

Now, it's almost sure, that your form is not sending the required information to mail.php script (or the other way round - mail.php is not prepared for working with this form). How to fix it, I've no idea, because I have no experience with Flash forms.

Maybe...

Maybe if you added

trigger_error(print_r($_POST), E_USER_NOTICE);

somewhere in your mail.php, we could see what data is actually being sent from the form. The message would appear in error logs, just where you've found information about 'undefined indexes'

Are you wanting something to happen when the user submits the form in your contact page (other than send the email ofcourse)? Such as a confirmation message or something. If so you'll need to add more code to your flash app for this to happen.

Also as you're using mail() you'll need to make sure PHP is configured to use an SMTP server in order for any emails to be sent. You should check with your host about this.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.