sending mail via php, using authentication

bradkenyon

I am using HTML Mime Mail for PHP (http://www.phpguru.org/static/mime.mail.html) to send a daily bulletin.

I work at a college and we have two email accounts dedicated to sending to all accounts.

one is for sending to all students, the other is for sending to all faculty/staff.

Each morning a script put the day's events into an email and sends it out to both accounts.

The problem is, the two email addresses can only be sent to if you are an authorized user on the mail system.

Right now it is setup to just send using the script, but I can not get it to work using authentication.

for example....

this is what i see when I look up the setSMTPParams:

setSMTPParams(string $host, int $port, string $helo, bool $auth, string $user, string $pass)

this is what I have

setSMTPParams('mail1.domain.edu', 25, '', true, 'user', 'password');

If anyone has used this, any help would be great, but if there is another mail script you have used, let me know.

Also, the server is an exchange server.

Thanks for help in advance.

I got it to work w/ authentication, it would not send the email if the username/password was incorrect, but when it was correct, it would send, but it was never received.

The way outlook authenticates on the server is more strict than just your username and password being correct.

So I am still scratching my head to figure out what other hoops I need to jump thru.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.