learning sql for non-designers

iphetamine

I'm not a web designer/developer but a pharmacist and would be working with databases. I worked with the very basics of mysql and php, but I really want to be good at SQL without needing to get a certificate or a degree in it. I read eslewhere that it's better to start off with mysql and then move on to sql. What do you guys think and how should I approach the SQL world?? I really want to get serious with that stuff....move on to Oracle or something  :P.

I'd say, install Wampserver (if you're on Windows).

There's Apache, MySQL and PHP in it, so you can start experimenting on your own. Also there's phpMyAdmin tool bundled, that's useful for toying with MySQL.

Most tutorials you'll find on the internet will be for PHP+MySQL duo.

Then try to find some beginners tutorial for MySQL. Learn how to make queries. What datatypes are available, and how to use them (that's something people often neglect)

Don't worry that you're learning MySQL and not SQL... because you actually do. 99% of what you learn with MySQL will work on other SQL engines.

Besides, MySQL is very popular, so it's not like you're investing your time into some niche product.

A book on PHP+MySQL will come in handy I suppose. O'Reilly seems to be doing fine books. Just make sure its on PHP5 and MySQL 5.x. Why learn obsolete versions (or almost obsolete ;) )

You can always advance. ;)

Basics of SQL are the same everywhere, so there's no real difference where you learn them. SELECT * FROM `table` WHERE `ID` = 1 works the same everywhere. The differences are mostly in more advanced functions.

MySQL is convieniet for beginning because there's an ocean of learning material.

As for so called 'major SQL apps', you mean Oracle and such? I think MySQL is pretty major ;) The fact that it's free doesn't make it weak.

You'd probably need to take some course, before you try to take an exam. I suspect that to get certified you need much more knowledge, that is needed for just everyday use.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.