Cookies for a different direcory

Full-Demon

Hi,

I try to make a bridge between an SMF forum and my own site, where the user registers and logs in at my site and is automatically registered and logged in on the forum (via the site).

SMF requires me to set a cookie to indicate the user is online, I made it to work on my localmachine, where I set the cookies path to be '/' (which is, the whole domain). But on my server it doesn't work, I think it's because they host multiple sites per server, and disabled this feature.

How can I make a cookie to work on a different path on the site then it is created in?

Thank you.

You can only set a cookie to a directory that you have permissions to. You cannot save a cookie to another webserver by default. To save a cookie to a certain path use the setcookie() function i.e:

setcookie("TestCookie", $value, time()+3600, "/~rasmus/", ".example.com", 1);

Yep, I know but it didn't work (that's just a copy from php.net :P).

They're on the same webserver, just different subdomains (where the subdomain is actually a directory in the www folder...).

I believe a subdomain is still considered a different domain, for security purposes.

You can't set a cookie for sub1.site.com from sub2.site.com... this would be very hectic for subdomain-based hosting.

The only thing you can do is set a cookie in the parent domain... '.site.com' which will be accessible by both subdomains.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.