[SOLVED] php string question.

DamienRoche

Can I use a php string function to detect carriage returns and the start of new lines. Like th pre tags do.

Basically, I have a text file with some really long lines. WHat I want to do is put a <-p-> at the start of each line and a </-p-> at the end.

I already know how to use fopen etc. so it's just the string function I need to learn.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can do this?

Thanks.

My long lines are being displayed none stop in the page.

like so:

I am a paragraph without a paragraph tab that is why I just can stop. ha that period doesn't stop me, I'm so clever, I just can stop. I am a paragraph without a paragraph tab that is why I just can stop. ha that

period doesn't stop me, I'm so clever, I just can stop. I am a paragraph without a paragraph tab that is why I just can stop. ha that period doesn't stop me, I'm so clever, I just can stop. I am a paragraph without a paragraph tab that is why I just can stop. ha that period doesn't stop me, I'm so clever, I just can stop. I am a paragraph without a paragraph tab that is why I just can stop. ha that period doesn't stop me, I'm so clever, I just can stop. I am a paragraph without a paragraph tab that is why I just can stop. ha that

period doesn't stop me, I'm so clever, I just can stop.

When really, it should break up a little. In the text file I just have really long lines for each paragraph.

I need to replace the start of each line with <-p-> and the end with </-p-> but I'm having trouble locating the beginning and the end of each line.

Thanks for the interest!

In the text file I just have really long lines for each paragraph.

And did you read (or try) the suggestion I made about using the file() function?

Yes, well, you are my hero right now :)

I was writing that really long reply at I just thought it'd be a waste to chuck it so submitted it any way.

The file(); function worked a treat!

Thanks for your time!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.