[SOLVED] Mail form

AV1611

Mail forms and Backscatter

I currently do not allow mailforms on my server that allow the form to ender a TO or FROM as I have been backscatter exploited in the past.

I also don't allow open relay and never will.

That means the from is always static (system@mydomain.com)

Question:

How can I ensure that the TO on the form only contains a SINGLE to?  And how do I keep robots from just bouncing off it?

Thanks.

I suppose a strict regex would keep anyone from putting the characters to send to multiple people at once. As far as protecting it from robots, the issue is a bit more difficult. What is your system for? I can't really think of a system where you would allow anyone to email to anyone without any form of authentication. Do you have a login associated with it?

Well,

Good question.

Currently I host several domains, so the to would always be a designated local user, but what if the account wanted the mail send to for example name@gmail.com?

I guess that the issue...

I guess as long as I hard code the to: then the from doesn't matter?

I just have been overreacting since I got exploited last year... I have worked VERY hard to keep my server off the spam lists and have done a good job... I just don't wanna risk it.

If there's a set number of users you want the emails sent to, the users shouldn't even have to deal with emails, or even, if possible, see them. A perfect implementation would have users entering/selecting a person's username and the script does all of the work of insuring the username exists/there is an email associated with it/sending the email.

And I don't blame you, not being blacklisted as a spammer is a huge concern for non-spammers unfortunately.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.