IE7 and Overflow:auto

mikePhp

Rite peeps,

I have come across what can only be a STUPID bug in IE7 and CSS overflow property...

I did a quick search to see if there was anything that related to what i am looking for but I couldn't find it.

So here goes:

I have 2 Divs one is nested inside the other...

i.e:

<div id="weblinks">
   <div class="infobox">CONTENT</div>
</div>

I have set my height to and absolute number 800px and my width aswell, I have set my overflow to auto aswell.

What seems to be happening is when I view my website in either Firefox, Opera, Safari, both on MAC/WINDOWS the overflow works perfect, the images disappear as I scroll down, HOWEVER... view this in Internet Explorer 7 and it doesn't work at all, they are not staying within the  overflow sections, you scroll down and nothing moves except the heading you hover over the image and then they move but not in the overflow section just UP or DOWN,

Heres the site (the images on the left of the website)

http://www.planet-group.net/magazines/construction2

I can see the main issue, here.

Fix your markup to comply with utf-8 coding - you are dropping into invalid compliance because of improper apostrophe character on line 157 ("One of the UK's premier Flooring"). Because of this one little issue, your charset is being ignored by the validator.

This means browsers may fall into a default charset. The very LAST thing anyone wants is for IE to start using default behaviors. Get your markup validating before starting to debug or apply IE only solutions. Otherwise the page is valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional.

Now, guess what happens in IE7 when the page is invalid (quirks mode)?

The non-anchored ":hover" element doesn't work.

Always get your page to validate before even trying to waste time debugging IE issues.

Is it working in IE7 now?

That one bad single bit of text that was causing the charset invalidation problem is now gone.

So now that that it is validating, IE7 will honor the non-anchor hover pseudo-element.

Either way, that can now be confirmed or eliminated as the cause.

Is it working in IE7 now?

That one bad single bit of text that was causing the charset invalidation problem is now gone.

So now that that it is validating, IE7 will honor the non-anchor hover pseudo-element.

Either way, that can now be confirmed or eliminated as the cause.

Well this will have to be an elimination matey, hasn't made a difference. its ok for now as i have deleted the images that go into the overflow..

Thanks for all your help

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.