download a file with php, no direct link

daydreamer

Well, you can't make someone download something, can you? I mean, that'd be a pretty big security risk, no? All you can do is offer them the option to download a file or open/run it. If that's what you're after (wasn't sure, your question was a bit ambiguous) then google for php force download. You'll find plenty of information

well you might be able to use the "file" function of php to make a copy of the file.

That would be just the same.. pretty much

http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.file.php

That doesn't even relate to what he asked....Anyway, do you want a personal PHP script to download a file off a server, or do you want to offer a file for downloading?

yeh i am trying curl at the moment, but the problem is that I do not have a direct download link.

e.g the address is like: www.example.co.uk/download/

When i go to the page with my browser it offers me a download or open the file box.

Seing as cURL is the "Client URL Library", I should be able to mimick my browser actions and download the file some how right?

any suggestions?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.