Validation Issue Because of PHP (i think!)

sam_h

Hi all,

I'm just looking through some validation issues for my site. On of my PHP pages has 66 Errors all of which occur because of an RSS feed I have called with PHP...at least I think that is the issue!

It would appear that the output of my page ommits the closing div tag for each headline/story in my feed...

If anyone has any ideas how to correct this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Regards, Sam

yep that is most definitely right! i am only new to the php ropes, so bear with me!

the page that I am in reference to is onyahead.com/latestnews.php

and the PHP that i used there is the following:

<?php
$host = "localhost";
$username = "*******";
$password = "*******";
$con = mysql_connect($host,$username,$password) or die ("cannot connect");

$databases = array(
'onyahe_wrdp1',
'onyahe_wrdp2',
'onyahe_wrdp3'
);

echo '<table><tbody>';

foreach($databases as $database){
        $q = mysql_query("SELECT u.user_nicename , (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM {$database}.wp_posts WHERE post_author=u.ID AND post_type = 'post') AS posts FROM {$database}.wp_posts AS p LEFT JOIN {$database}.wp_users AS u ON u.ID = p.post_author WHERE p.post_type = 'post' GROUP BY p.post_author ORDER BY posts DESC LIMIT 1") or die ("<tr><td>Error:</td><td>Unable to run query on db: ".$database."</td></tr>");
            $a = mysql_fetch_assoc($q);
            echo '<tr><td><strong>'.$a['user_nicename'].'</strong> has written</td><td><strong>'.$a['posts'].'</strong> articles </td></tr>';
    }

echo '</tbody></table>';
?> 

Did you even read the error messages that the validator gave you?

Just about all of them say:

Line 154, Column 6: end tag for "div" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified.

If you look at the source of your page, there are a lot of lines similar to this:

<div><p><a href="http://onyahead.com/arsenal/2008/08/adebayor-back-in-business/">Adebayor Back In Business</a></p><p>It&#8217;s what a lot of Arsenal fans were hoping for&#8230;.a new contract swiftly followed by a big performance from our frontman.
He is slowly but surely beginning to ooze with a confidence and class reminiscent of what we once experienced when watching Henry.
Now I&#8217;m not saying that I think the two can be compared&#8230;because they are [...]</p>

See?  There is no </div> at the end of all of those lines.

In the code you posted above, it uses a table and no divs, so the problem isn't occurring within that code, unless its in the database data being retrieved.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.