[SOLVED] Got Milk, Need Cookie

AV1611

I have done some minor stuff with cookies in the past, but need some guidance.

All I want to do is make a simple login that when completed it sends a cookie to the client that never expires, then everytime they come back to the site it checks to see if the cookie is present and if not then they login again.

1. Is that PHP only?

2. It's a low security site... I'm making a shoutbox from scratch is all.

3. I just need to know how to make the cookie not expire and how to check for it on return to the site.

The cookie system does not allow to create a cookie for ever but you can just create a cookie to live of a long time enough to make sure the user wiill be dead by that time :P

setcookie("registered",$cookie_data,time()+60*60*24*365*10);

if im correct on how i set that it would be a ten year cookie which in computer world is forever who keeps the same machine that long?

so, what is the syntax to see if they have the cookie set?

if(isset($_COOKIE['cookiename'])){

do some cool stuff for the person

}

else{

tell them to log in

}

like that?

I don't care about the info in the cookie but I guess I could put a sha1 hash of a keyword or whatever but I don't care I don't think... It's just a shoutbox...

You should add some form of content to the cookie to authenticate the user as anyone can just create a cookie with the name you specified.

As for the subject of a user living 10 years I've been developing an InjureUser class for use as a tech support tool... if you'd like to use it when the cookie reaches 9 years + 11 months + 364 days, send me a message and I'll send you a copy when I'm finished with it.

<?php

if(isset($_GET['set'])){

setcookie('shoutbox','shoutboxdata',time()+60*60*24*365*10);

header('Location: cookietest.php');

}

else{

if(isset($_COOKIE['shoutbox'])){

echo "cookie is set";

}

else{

echo "cookie is not set";

}

}

?>

Looks like that'll do it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.