[SOLVED] Is this correct mysqli coding?

GeorgeWade

My hosting provider says the following code is bad mysql coding. They say check with the developer. I am the developer although have not touched PHP in a few years. (I like PHP but work in an asp.net shop.) Please advise. (Userid/password/dbname are dummies as shown here - the code successfully does a SELECT and returns values but while it shows 1 row affected in the UPDATE the table never changes according to my CPanel/PHPAdmin screen). NOTE that the userid/password I currently use in the connect is the same used in CPanel to login and originally create the database. I have also tried it with a different userid given all permissions.

$link = mysqli_connect('localhost', 'userid','password','dbname');
$query = "SELECT c.gameID, c.date, c.time, c.chatStream from chatTbl c WHERE c.gameID = " . $inGameID ; //gameID is bigint
if ($result = mysqli_query($link, $query)) {
   $numChat_rows = mysqli_num_rows($result); 
}
else $numChat_rows = 0;
$row = mysqli_fetch_assoc($result);
$fndID          = $row["ID"];
$fndGameID  = $row["gameID"];
//AND $fndID and $fndGameID successfully get values which can be displayed.

BUT the following only appears to work while never actually changing the database table: (ID is bigint autonumbered and record 1 exists)

$MySQL = "UPDATE chatTbl set mydate = '" . $inDate . "' WHERE ID = 1";
if ($result = mysqli_query($link, $query)) {
   if (mysqli_affected_rows($link) > 0) {
      $numInserted_rows = 1;
   }
   else if (mysqli_affected_rows($link) == 0)
            $numInserted_rows = 0;
         else $numInserted_rows = -1;
}
else $numInserted_rows = 0;

I also get 1 record affected when I execute the following:

$numInserted_rows = mysqli_affected_rows($link);

Is the code shown for accessing a MySQL database / UPDATING the record, including any required code such as the connection correct?

I know the SELECT code is right because it returns data. But while the UPDATE code reports 1 record affected using the

mysqli_affected_rows($link)

code but the data itself does not get changed (as shown from a browse in PHPadmin).

So, I think the code is correct but my hosting admins tell me MySQL is setup/configured right and the code must be wrong. Since I am very rusty with PHP at this time I'm wanting someone who codes against MySQL regularly to either confirm the code is correct and complete to UPDATE a table or to point out where the code is wrong or missing something.

Thanks, PFMaBiSmAd. As often the case, something that should be obvious. In my comfort zone of asp.net/c# I always set the query to the MySQL variable whereas out of that comfort zone using PHP I copied examples ($query) and was completely blind as to the variable disconnect.

Not really sure why mysqli_affected_rows($link) inaccurately showed 1 row affected (which caused me to believe code might be right) but Microsoft messages are no more helpful. Thanks again.

Changed code and it worked of course.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.