[SOLVED] Problem passing dynamic data into a confirm button

Voodoo Jai

I want to pass a dynamic value into a confirm button so I get the correct form value. The form uses this script

<script type="text/javascript">
function go_there()
{
var r=confirm("Printing a receipt confirms the payment has been received!" + '\n' + "                  PRINT A RECEIPT!");

if (r==true)
{
window.location="http://localhost/mark-paid.php?PaperworkID=<?php echo $row_PreviousInvoices['PaperworkID']; ?>&ID=<?php echo $row_Recordset1['TakeawayID']; ?>";
}
}
</script>

and this to start it

<FORM>
                          <INPUT TYPE="button" value="Print a receipt!" onClick="go_there()">
                        </FORM>

I want to pass a dynamic piece of data into the input button that is then used in the script.

Something like this

<FORM>
<INPUT TYPE="button" value="Print a receipt!" onClick="go_there(<?php echo $row_PreviousInvoices['PaperworkID']; ?>)">
</FORM>

which is then used in the script like

function go_there($DYNAMIC_DATA)
{
var r=confirm("Printing a receipt confirms the payment has been received!" + '\n' + "                  PRINT A RECEIPT!");

if (r==true)
{
window.location="http://localhost/mark-paid.php?PaperworkID=$DYNAMIC_DATA&ID=<?php echo $row_Recordset1['TakeawayID']; ?>";
}
}
</script>

I have highlited the DYNAMIC_DATA in lime green to show you how and what I want to pass.

Basically can I pass a variable into the confirm submit button and the pass this into the next page for use.

Complicated but many thanks in advance

VoodooJai

it's easiest to pass a variable between pages in a hidden input field.

<input type="hidden" name="PaperworkID" value="<?php echo $row_PreviousInvoices['PaperworkID']; ?>" />
<input type="hidden" name="ID" value="<?php echo $row_Recordset1['TakeawayID']; ?>" />

or something like that :) don't forget you still need to verify these passed values even though they were hidden to the user. They're unclean and can be changed by a malicious user using a special browser plugin, their own form, a script, etc.

If you want to be 100% sure the user can't change the values you'll need to use sessions, which is a whole 'nother beast.

As for the JS, I think this will work (I'm not much of a JS programmer, but I know a couple of things):

function go_there(data)
{

if (r==true)
{
window.location="http://localhost/mark-paid.php?PaperworkID=" + data + "&ID=<?php echo $row_Recordset1['TakeawayID']; ?>";
}
}
</script>

As for the JS, I think this will work (I'm not much of a JS programmer, but I know a couple of things):

function go_there(data)
{

if (r==true)
{
window.location="http://localhost/mark-paid.php?PaperworkID=" + data + "&ID=<?php echo $row_Recordset1['TakeawayID']; ?>";
}
}
</script>

Many thanks yes that works great I just coould not figure out ho to write it, thanks again.

Also the pages are for restricted users so should I still clense them, if so what should I be doing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.