Member plus application concept

bach

Hi,

I have been thinking of writing an web application for a member based system. I have come up with an initial DB design and would like some feedback advise next step's etc as this is the first time I am doing this.

Concept

To hold information about its members and what roles they do, it needs to be simple, fast and functional.

There are many aspects of this system for future development for building information, availability information etc so this needs to be thought about in the initial stages so a re-design will not be necessary.

Thanks.

WARNING: This is my personal preference.

One this i would say about your database naming convention is the way you name primary/foreign keys seems a little weird to me.  For primary keys, i think it is cleaner to use a standard name globally like id.  For primary keys i think it is cleaner to use the singular versions if the table name is plural(so the foreign key to the users table would be user_id) becuase something like u_id is going to be confusing and you will run into conflict is you have another table that begins with u and it one word and you need a foreign key to both another table.

Liquid,

Thanks for the reply again, There is no specific reason for the data type of int for the amended date I saw this on another system and I was not sure which one was correct.  Do you know the difference between them.

Cheers.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.