variable names and session name conflict

esport

Hi guys,

I noticed that if I have a variable named the same as a session variable name, it cause conflict. For example, I set a session

$_SESSION['username'] = 'Joe';

and when I set the variable

$username = 'John' 

The session variable is effected.

Can anyone elaborate on this?

Daniel

yes, register_globals is enabled. I will turn it off and get back to you. Its not a major concern, there are obvious ways around this, but it took me almost half a day to figure out why my sessions kept on dropping out, to only relise my variables were effecting them.

Register_globals were turned off in php4.2 in the year 2002 because of this security hole (anyone can send your code post/get/cookies with the same name as a session or program variable and set your session or program variable to any value they want.) That was six years ago. No new hosting or development system should have been setup after that point in time that had register_globals turned on.

I am surprised we are still seeing people wasting time troubleshooting variables getting overwritten this long after the problem was known and the setting that caused it was turned off.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.