php time refresh

potato_chip

I was able to display the current server time on my page, like this:

<?php

//display today's date, time in top right of each page.

$todaydate = date('F j, Y - h:i A');

echo "$todaydate  ";

?>

This code is in my topmain.php. And topmain.php is included in the index.php. Once the index.php file is loaded, the time displayed is the time when the page was loaded. Does anyone knows how to display the real time as the clock clicks.

Thanks!!!

I think it is a waste of resources to use ajax to constantly poll the server to return the time.  If you have 1000 users doing that, it could easily slow your server down (that would be 60,000 hits a minute on your server)...and for something as trivial as displaying the server time...

Why do your users need to know the up-to-the-second server time?

If you wanted, you could

1) get server time using php

2) using javascript, you could advance that time so all of the work is done clientside and doesn't waste server resources.

I think it is a waste of resources to use ajax to constantly poll the server to return the time.  If you have 1000 users doing that, it could easily slow your server down (that would be 60,000 hits a minute on your server)...and for something as trivial as displaying the server time...

Why do your users need to know the up-to-the-second server time?

If you wanted, you could

1) get server time using php

2) using javascript, you could advance that time so all of the work is done clientside and doesn't waste server resources.

Agreed, use javascript to offset from the servers time

Yes. I want to pass the server time to javascript, and then advance the time. But I don't know how to pass php time() to javascript and process it. here is what I did:

var currentTime = <?php echo time(); ?>;

But javascript

var currentTime = new Date();

But javascript Date() function returns is totally different from php time() does. How can I process the information in javascript? Any help? Pretty new to both languages. Thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.