Super-Dynamic SQL SELECTS and INSERTS

kodekamel

I want to select data that will have to be pieced together from several tables.  This data is obscured beyond recognition.  Consider each field is being stored in a separate.  There is a separate table that connects the data to form a single "object".

objects(ObjectID,ObjectType)  <<<  objects has one record...  That one "thing" is what we're talking about.

object_relations(ID,ObjectID,TableID,DataID)  <<< This table would connect Data to the Object, and tell us where to find it.

object_relation_tables(TableID,TableName)  <<< Holds full text table names .

object_names(ID,DataValue)  <<<  Holds a field called names.

object_descriptions(ID,DataValue)  <<<  Holds the descriptions.

With that said.  Please avoid calling me an idiot.  I know I know.. WTF is the point.  I'm not getting into that.  Please just try to help.

I would love to be able to retrieve data with one select.  I don't know what to call it, or how to search it.  My question is... Is this possible and how do I do it?

Any suggestions are appreciated. 

FYI...  My client will not dismiss this theory, so I have to get it done somehow.  Even suggestions on how to minimize the number of statements would be helpful.

Alright... Let me simplify...  Since I have no replys... I assume I have not explained clearly.

I am trying make a select statement that selects from different tables depending on the data that exists for an object.

Example.

Object1 has a name in the o_name table.

Object2 does not have a name in the o_name table, but it does has a description in the o_description table.

So here we go.  I think MySql variables can help with this problem.. but i'm not sure how.

I have an object table.  I have an object_map table... and I have an infinate number of tables that hold data related to the object.  The object_map table relates ObjectID with TableID and DataID. 

I want to look up the value of DataID in the table that is related to TableID. 

This does not work..... But i'll also give a SQL example.

SELECT ot.DV, tn.TableName FROM object_map as om JOIN object_tables as tn ON om.TableID = tn.ID JOIN (@tn.TableName) as ot ON ot.ID=om.DataID

It's that (@tn.TableName) as ot that i'm trying to figure out...  The table name that I want to join is stored in object_tables...  CAN I use it in a SQL statement?  if so... HOW?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.