order by problem. Like to order it as a folder tree structure

r_a_s_robin

I'm having troubles ordering my table as a folder tree structure. Who can help me out here?

(Assume i have the newest Mysql version. To keep the example easy to look at, the messages just say 'bla bla')

I have the following table:

IDMessagechild_from

------------------

0bla blaNULL

1bla blaNULL

2bla bla0

3bla bla1

4bla bla1

5bla bla0

6bla blaNULL

7bla bla3

8bla bla4

9bla bla8

I'd like to order the table in such a way, that it would become like this:

IDMessagechild_from

------------------

0bla blaNULL

2bla bla0

5bla bla0

1bla blaNULL

3bla bla1

7bla bla3

4bla bla1

8bla bla4

9bla bla8

6bla blaNULL

How do i do that with just one Query??

the goal is to create something like this:

0 bla bla

-- 2 bla bla

-- 5 blabla

1 bla bla

-- 3 bla bla

---- 7 bla bla

-- 4 bla bla

----8 bla bla

------9 blabla

6 bla bla

I'm not sure if this is possible in MySQL alone... the way I'd approach this problem is by creating a recursive function in PHP that checks to see:

A. if the message is a top level category.

B. if there are children to that category.

Just recently, I read about this very subject in a book that shows how to handle this situation. When i get home and if this problem is unresolved, ill share the example.

well, actually i'm ordering by something that isn't really there. As you can see i started by taking the lowest ID without a 'child_from'. Then there is the lowest ID row with child_from='0' (this happens to be ID=2), Then, because there is no child_from='2', it searches for child_from='0' again, etc etc

Because i'm ordering by something that isn't there, i've been thinking about (and trying to make) a additional column with AS in the mysql statement. But i haven't succeeded so far and i'm not sure it's the way to do it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.