[SOLVED] mysql_fetch_array error.... headers already sent by my sql statement?!

boo_lolly

this is really really weird. I've never encountered an error like this before.

first here's the error:

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /var/www/mysite/functions.php on line 590

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/mysite/functions.php:590) in /var/www/dodgecancer/functions.php on line 604

Fatal error: Cannot break/continue 1 level in /var/www/mysite/functions.php on line 605

and here's my code:

<?php
            $sql = '
                SELECT
                FROM
                    bulletins
            ';
            $query = mysql_query($sql) OR die(mysql_error());

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($query)) {   #<----- LINE 590
                if ($get_array['ref'] == sha1($row['id'])) {
                    $sql = '
                        DELETE FROM
                            bulletins
                        WHERE
                            id = '. $row['id'] .'
                    ';
                    $query = mysql_query($sql) OR die(mysql_error());
                    if ($query) {
                        add_notification('user_panel', 'green', 'Your bulletin post has been deleted.');
                    }
                }
            }
            header('Location: user_panel.php'); #<-----------------------LINE 604
            break;                                                #<----------------------LINE 605
?>

I seriously don't know what to do. I've been trying to test this thing for hours and I cannot understand why it's throwing this error. I've even commented out all processing and just printed the while loop, and everything works... but when I try the above script, it throws the errors. If I can figure out the first error, the other two will go away I'm sure.

Here's the weird thing. It gives me this error, right? Then when I press 'Refresh' in the browser, it goes back to the page it's supposed to and shows the correct message. And when I cross reference the database, the correct row has been deleted. So basically, it's working, but throwing an error that doesn't make any sense in the first place... weird right?

I need help with this. What's wrong with my syntax or sql statement? Why is it saying there's output when there's clearly NO output?

ProjectFear,

As I mentioned in my previous post, the query is working. I've tested it by simply printing out the contents of each $row. I do not get an error when I do that.

I am not sending out any output before the header. I have been looking at this problem for over an hour and I need a fresh set of eyes on this.

If my sql statement is wrong, WHAT is wrong with it?

He is overwriting the $query variable inside of the while loop with a TRUE/FALSE value from the INSERT query, so when the while loop evaluates the condition again, the mysql_fetch_xxxxx instruction fails.

THAT WAS IT!!! YOU'RE A GENIOUS BRO!!!!  Thank you SO much!!!!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.