[SOLVED] Introduction & PHP Question (Including RSS Feeds onto Website?)

Hatorade

First, Hey. My name is Andrew & I know little to nothing about PHP (Actually very little) but I can basically look at it, edit some html inside it or change a setting or two but that's innocently about it which is why I've avoided coming to this PHP forum since I'm certain you guys get people like me who are completely uneducated about PHP and need help so I do apologize but I don't want to be treated like an idiot.. While some may excel in PHP, others focus on other things like Web Design, Archeology, Astronomy, Zoology or other hobbies and studies so bare with me here.

My question, Which I don't know if it's even appropriate to label as PHP but I am assuming PHP might be the way to do this... Is regarding ATOM/RSS feeds.

I want to put my MySpace.com Blog's RSS feed and somehow make it show up on my website. I know this might sound silly since nobody writes or reads MySpace Blogs but I am doing it for specific reasons to both keep my MySpace Account active/worth logging into and providing updated blogs so they don't have to log into the website/Plus it would be easier for me not having to install Wordpress/Databases etc.

MySpace provides the blog URL, it does not end with .rss or .xml & I do not know if that is a problem but here is what a normal MySpace Blog RSS feed link looks like:

http://blog.myspace.com/blog/rss.cfm?friendID=XXX (XXX being your MySpace FriendID of course).

I want to put that onto a small section on my website, maybe displaying a small number of blogs at a time, newest first of course.

I've asked everyone I know, I've asked on Yahoo Answers, Sitepoint & online geeks but I am simply being avoided because I guess it's not as easy as it sounds?

Anyways, aside from the MySpace Blog there's another RSS feed that I want to include on my website for different YouTube.com channels.

Ex. Providing the RSS feed from Youtube's partner "panacea81" for female/makeup wearers on my site.

I HAD a site that generated a RSS/Atom feed URL but now I can't find it.. But it allowed me to check off options and stuff and it updated the URL, But generally I do want the thumbnails and description to show at least and many generic RSS feeds for youtube do not provide that.

If anyone can help, I would GREATLY appreciate it. It's very frusterating, I apologize if I sound too paranoid about posting and joining but thanks for viewing.

-Andrew

Yes, RSS feeds can easily be created in php. However, this forum isn't here to have people write code for you, its here for people wishing to learn php. If you'd like to learn php theres a good free book in my sig (hudzilla), otherwise, Id'e suggest you post a request in the freelance board and find someone to program this for you.

Well I was hoping maybe there were tutorials that could be provided since searching for it on google gives me the wrong thing (ex. how to put blog rss on a myspace profile) or something that could "help" with it rather than having someone specifically doing it for me. I appreciate any sort of help, and I thought this forum was for that..

THIS IS very basic needs alot of work but it should give you the idea to run with on how rss can be made from php mysql

<? header('Content-type: text/xml'); ?>
<rss version="2.0">
<channel>
<title>Lawrence Guide</title>
<description>Lawrence guide brings you a fast and eay wau to find all the local services</description>
<link>http://www.lawrenceguide.org</link>
<copyright>Dropfaith Productions 2008</copyright>
<?
// includes for my host details
include("../template/conf.php");
// open database connection
$connection = mysql_connect($host, $user, $pass) or die ("Unable to connect!");
// select database
mysql_select_db($db) or die ("Unable to select database!");
$q="SELECT * FROM Art ORDER BY Id DESC LIMIT 0,15";
$doGet=mysql_query($q);
while($result = mysql_fetch_array($doGet)){
?>
     <item>
        <title> <?=htmlentities(strip_tags($result['Name'])); ?></title>
        <description> </description>
        <link>http://www.lawrenceguide.org/artist/profile.php?Name=<?=$result['Name'];?></link>
     </item>  
<? } ?>  
</channel>
</rss>

http://blog.myspace.com/blog/rss.cfm?friendID=3063017  you need the rss link like so from myspace

for it to work

Yes I understand but test with this friendID and you will see for some reason it doesn't work:

I contacted myspace and reported this issue, maybe it's the high amount of digits, I'm not sure.

The URL though works and I can see our blogs:

http://blog.myspace.com/blog/rss.cfm?friendID=259859979

I mean what doesn't work is that it doesn't display our blogs from the website you provided but it displays your blogs and tom's blogs even though the URLS are identical and the blogs are viewable if you go directly to the RSS url..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.