MySQL date to day(th) month year

Flames

i need to get the values for j,S, M and y from the database.

I'm not too sure what you're asking for, but maybe this will help:

list($y,$m,$d) = explode("-",$date);

It returns the year, month, and day values from a yyyy-mm-dd date

this is the php from my code:

<?php
$sql = "SELECT * FROM News ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 1";
$query = mysql_query($sql);
while($news = mysql_fetch_assoc($query))
{
$message = $news['message'];
$poster = $news['poster'];
$date = $news['date'];
$date2 = date("jS M, y", $date);
}
echo <<<EOT
$message, posted by <span class="poster">$poster</span>, on the <span class="style7">$date2</span>
EOT;
?>

it always returns 31st december 69, even though the date is 2008-10-19

@AndyB i dont get how i would put that in to the date function, otherwise that would just say 19 10 2008 which isnt how i want it.

@PFMaBiSmAd i cant do that because im selecting other columns as well.

so in my code would it just be

<?php
$sql = "SELECT *, DATE_FORMAT(date) AS %d %b, %y FROM News ORDER BY id LIMIT 1";
$query = mysql_query($sql);
while($news = mysql_fetch_assoc($query))
{
$message = $news['message'];
$poster = $news['poster'];
$date = $news['date'];
}
echo <<<EOT
$message, posted by <span class="poster">$poster</span>, on the <span class="style7">$date</span>
EOT;
?>

You might want to read the information and the examples at that link. The syntax is - DATE_FORMAT(date,format). Date is your date column name and format is the format string that gives you the results you want.

The AS some_name syntax assigns an alias name so that you can refer to the resultant value by that name, which you probably already knew from your basic mysql reference book.

Since mind reading seems to be working today over the Internet, I'll answer your next question before you even ask it in this thread -

All strings must be enclosed in quotes (single-quotes are used in mysql). All six examples at that link show the format string enclosed in single-quotes. How you managed to read that information and leave out that part of the syntax is a mystery.

i managed to get my code working thanks.

I didnt notice that, i tried my code without and i thought it was a MySQL error hence the reason i made a new topic, do you know anywhere where i could find help with the AS some_name because i've never used it before but i managed to get it working by a complete guess of $news['some_name'].

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.