[SOLVED] Database security?

Kane250

I manage a website of a campaign and this morning somehow, somebody was able to send me email that was addressed to websiteurl@proxy.dreamhost.com but was from their own personal email address. I fear that they somehow accessed everyone on my email database list and that this e-mail was sent to them as well, but I cannot be sure.

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this before? Any extra security measures I can take so nobody could gain access to my database? (if that is in fact what happened here).

Thanks.

somebody was able to send me email that was addressed to websiteurl@proxy.dreamhost.com but was from their own personal email address.

I could send an email to that address from my email, doesn't mean Ive broken into any db server. maybe I'm missing something here?

I'm asking because even though it was addressed to that email address, I received the email in my gmail account.

I assumed it was database related because my gmail address is listed inside the database I built for this website....clearer? I don't receive email at thataddress@proxy.dreamhost.com even though that was who it was addressed to.

Figured it out. Apparently when someone looks up a website's registration information there is contact info listed. It just so happens the email address people see is not my personal one, but a weird @proxy whatever email. So it turns out that someone just found this and sent me the email only. It really looked like an email one would receive from a php script without custom headers though... That's why i freaked...oh well, lesson learned!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.