How do you make an Administrative Control Panel for a website?

Allenj713

Title explains it all lol, for some reason i can not seem to find anything on the internet to even get me started with creating the ACP or any tutorials.  Could anyone point me in the right direction to some good references or even some good online tutorials? Would really appreciate it!

-Allen

Maybe a little more clarification on what type of control panel you're looking for would help.  As it stands, your request is pretty broad.

Part of the problem with trying to find you a good tutorial is that there is such a wide range of requirements for an ACP-- it depends on what you want to do with it and what kind of site you're going to put it on.

The first thing you will need is to create a user authentication script.  You will have a database table with things like access level.

Then for the ACP, you just check the users access level and see if they are an administrator, if not kick em out.

Thats is in a nutshell.  As mentioned above, if you are new it will take some learning to get this far...you need to learn how to access the database, insert info into it, retrieve it, etc.

Make a list of what you want the ACP to do and manage. Then put it into a algorithm and pseudocode.

Example.

I want a login.

What makes a login?

Form, DB, and code to check it.

Whats needed in the DB and form?

Username, password, and a primary key (unique ID would be best). Check to see if input is equal to the DB.

So on. See what you want the ACP to do and needs then set up whats needed for each function. Then make the steps. Then code it from there. It will practically code itself.

Make a list of what you want the ACP to do and manage. Then put it into a algorithm and pseudocode.

Example.

I want a login.

What makes a login?

Username, password, and a primary key (unique ID would be best). Check to see if input is equal to the DB.

So on. See what you want the ACP to do and needs then set up whats needed for each function. Then make the steps. Then code it from there. It will practically code itself.

Hmm, so people actually read the blogs?

Example.

I want a login.

What makes a login?

Hmm, so people actually read the blogs?

Yes and no. I knew this stuff before i came to phpfreaks. But I also read the blogs. =p. But back to the topic.

Haha that was fast, and yes i know it was kinda vague.  Basically i need it for a bands website, a friends of mine.  So he can log in and change news, links, pics those being the main things.  I am fairly new to this stuff but from what ive heard its not to difficult once you can see it in context, thats why ive been looking for any online examples.  Guess i just have no idea where to start.

Sounds good, thanks a lot!  But one more question, just out of curiosity, if i were to put text into the page in html, how can i set it up so within the control panel it would just display the text on the page, like in a little editable test box, and be freely editable by the person? Is that an easy possibility?  Because that's basically what i need to do.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.