Them Cool Google Index

Napper

Hi everybody,

I working on a CMS system and was wondering how you explain to google what your most important pages are. Like in the attachement. You see it with lots of the proffessional websites that if you enter "Canon" you will get www.canon.com as a hit and then underneath that neatly arranged the quicklink for drivers, support, products, etc. How do they do that? I want that, too... :)

Kind regards,

Napper

[attachment deleted by admin]

Site map maybe.  Look into the Google webmaster tools and make a site map.  And some of it is just how they index your site.

that's what I thought too, but at a conference a few weeks ago (here in SP, Brazil of all places!) they actually said that despite having a sitemap is a prerequisite for "them cool google index" its actually determined by algorithms.  same as adwords.  its interesting in case people are wondering:

1) paying for an adwords campaign does not guarantee your add will appear (regardless of your established monthly budget and price per click).  they have relevance algorithms to try and maximize conversion rates for you so, if you pick your keywords poorly (ie too vague; "short tail" === many clicks, few conversions) you'll get less exposure than if you buy extremely specific keywords that will definitely be searched less often, but have a much higher conversion ratio associated with them ("long tail").

:)

Sitelinks are additional links Google sometimes generates from site contents in order to help users navigate your site. Google generates these sitelinks periodically from your site's contents.

Sitelinks are completely automated, and we show them only if we think they'll be useful to the user. If your site's structure doesn't allow our algorithms to find good sitelinks, or we don't think that the sitelinks are relevant to the user's query, we won't show them. However, we are always working to improve how we find and display sitelinks

Sitelinks are additional links Google sometimes generates from site contents in order to help users navigate your site. Google generates these sitelinks periodically from your site's contents.

Sitelinks are completely automated, and we show them only if we think they'll be useful to the user. If your site's structure doesn't allow our algorithms to find good sitelinks, or we don't think that the sitelinks are relevant to the user's query, we won't show them. However, we are always working to improve how we find and display sitelinks

sweet, so i guess that means i actually retained something from that conference :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.