Apache Server on Windows XP Pro SP3 Performace

ray99

Apache Server on Windows XP Pro SP3 Performace  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Apache Server on Windows XP Pro SP3 Performace

I setup apache server on windows xp pro sp3. Everything is running well except when the server become heavy load (said 10-15 peoples accessing my cgi-script at the same time), it take 4-8x longer time compared to normal non heavy load time (<15sec).

My question is:

1) Does the 10 TCP connections limitation in Windows XP Pro limit the 10 concurrent access while leaving the rest in queue?

2) Is there any way to solve this in http.conf using ThreadPerChild and MaxRequestPerChild ?

3) I am trying mod_perl2 using perlrun but on experimental server to test out the compatibility of my script but it will only speed out the processing time but not overcoming the speed issue if more concurrent access is require.

Please help out.

Thank you

1.  I think the limit is on outbound connections, not inbound.  Also, I think it limit attempts.  And, you can easily change some registry key or something to make it greater than 10.

2.  KeepAliveTimeout is most likely the culprit.  15 seconds default per connection.....  That sucks.

3.  Errrr, no idea x.x.

• 1 month later...

Are you using Windows XP as a production web server?

XP is going to limit the number of concurrent connections to your web server so you're better off upgrading to Windows Server.

Otherwise, IIS 7 (major upgrade from IIS 6) is available in Vista and would be able to give you better diagnostic and troubleshooting capabilities. You can find a webcast on upgrade path from Windows XP & IIS 5.1 to IIS 7 here - "http://blogs.iis.net/chrisad/archive/2007/03/01/get-the-facts-on-windows-vista-iis-7-0-compatibility.aspx.

• 3 weeks later...

it's easy enough to change the number of max connections in windows XP no matter what service pack you use, so even if this did pose a problem in some way, this is a microsoft service question, but not web hosting question altogether.

I hope you are able to cure any problems you may have with such limitations if you come across them.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.