[SOLVED] Stock item sale or one time sale

dejangex

This is a theoretical question, since my project does not exists yet and now I ran into a problem. Suppose there is an online shop that sells one item only once and then the item is removed from the shop. This shop uses a third party gateway for payments(paypal, moneybookers, etc.). The possibility that two people will try to buy it at the same time is low, but still exists so how to deal with this problem? Same thing applies if there is only one item left in the stock, and two people try to buy it at the same time. There is a chance that I will be paid for a product I cant provide.

I did thought about that, but what would happen if the customer went to the payment page, waited there for 30 min. and then payed. Someone else could buy it in that time frame. Also hiding the item is not a very good solution because somone could abuse the system to constantly hide some item of interest by adding it to the basket/clicking checkout, and because some people browsing the items could miss those that reappeared. Hmmm...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.