File/Folder limit

XAlliedYouthX

I'm working on a site that could potentially have thousands of users with many images each.  I'm wondering what the recommended structure for the possible expansion could be.  I know that having all the images in one directory is easiest but I know there will be a file limit at some point.  One idea I had was to have every 1000 or so users "grouped" under directories but I really don't know if that's best.  Can someone recommend what might be the best structure to use?

I know that having all the images in one directory is easiest but I know there will be a file limit at some point.

There is no file limit per say, you just run out of discspace. In fact there is a limit to the depth of your directory structures depending on your filesystem.

The question is probably more related to organization. One method you could use would be to create a directory tree something like....

[pre]

images/

a/

andrew/

foo.jpg

bar.jpg

alex/

b/

bob/

foo.jpg

c/

d/

e/

[/pre]

etc etc.

This will also help with filename collisions between different users files.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.