Mysql Issue --- Sudden Breakdown

ff000

Hello all,

I just got confronted with a php/MySql issue at work. Apparently the whole thing used to work fine then all of a sudden things magically decided not to work anymore. Apparently none of the script was changed, (we didn't break anything in other words) but apparently the whole thing doesn't work like its supposed to anymore.

Basically what is supposed to happen is the user opens a GUI (this is handled by someone else so I don't have many details in that regard) and they can input their name, email, and as a result be emailed a message with a url to a database where they can find photos associates with something they participated in (like photos taken during an event.) and for a little while it did that but all of a sudden it stopped working.

The working theory is that somewhere things got upgraded version wise or permissions got changed that is blocking things.

Help, please help.

We're all at a loss as to what's going on.

Wild guess. The people who host the site upgraded php to a version which no longer defaults to register_globals ON while the 'working' scripts all assumed that resiter_globals is ON (the insecure setting).

Run a simple script to display phpinfo() and that might tell you something

ok I got more details today

Basically this thing is supposed to take information (photos, video, and two strings) and post them to a file in an FTP server. So far only the pictures are coming through and we can't get the strings to write to the database, nor can we get the email generated that is supposed to be generated. Also, whomever built this did NOT put a lot of error checks, just one general else at the bottom which returns a string but doesn't tell us what the problem is.

Is there a way to test the _POST variables and see where they're going wrong?

Also, how should I set up some more error checking? periodic if's and else if's?

(I am unfortunatly not at liberty to post the code here, otherwise I'd say have at it.)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.