[SOLVED] Operating system check

bobbfwed

This must have come up before, but the search function on these (and every other forum system) is impossible to get results out of...anyway...

I am trying to find the surest way to get the server's operating system. All I need is "Windows"/"Linux"/"Mac"/etc. I don't need versions or whatnot. I see some of that info entrenched in $_SERVER ... but I was wondering if there is a simpler way.

Also...while we are at it. I have a function that changes a file's or directory's permissions with chmod. But on windows the chmod of a directory seems to do very little. There are two settings: 0777 and 0555 (read-only). 0555 still allows you to rename the directory and create files/dirs inside of it. Files have only two options as well: 0666 and 0444 (read-only). Is there any way to beef it up?

So to relate to the server OS question: I will probably just do what windows does, only give you the read-only/everything options when on Windows, and give full octal control when on other operating systems (I'm assuming Mac -- at least MacX -- uses the Unix/Linux octal system?).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.