Incorrect syntax, and a side order of $_POST being weird

Asday

MySQL version: 5.0.51b-community-nt

Error given:  "You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')' at line 1"

At the moment, I've been wrestling with this code for quite a while.  I want it to show a simple form when $_POST isn't set (and for some reason, it's always set, so I've used $_POST[date]) and when it is set, write $_POST[date] and $_POST[content] to the relevant places in the sql table.  For some reason, it's failing now, and I'm well and truly stuck.

<?php
$html = "<html><head></head><body><p><form action=\"newspost.php\" method=\"post\">Datemarker: <input type=\"text\" name=\"date\" />Content: <input type=\"text\" name=\"content\" /><input type=\"submit\" /></form></p></body></html>";
if($_POST[date] == "")
{
echo $html;
}

if(isset($_POST))
{
echo $_POST[date];
$con = mysql_connect("localhost","user","pass");
mysql_select_db("sg194", $con);
$date194 = $_POST[date];
$content194 = $_POST[content];
$query = "INSERT INTO frontpage_news (date,content) VALUES (".$date194.",".$content194.")";
mysql_query($sql, $con);
mysql_close($con);
}
?>

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

$query = "INSERT INTO frontpage_news (date,content) VALUES ('".$date194."','".$content194."')";

or I think even this would work:

$query = "INSERT INTO frontpage_news (date,content) VALUES ('$date194','$content194')";

I added single quotes to the VALUES.

As for $_POST, ...

if(isset($_POST['date'])
{
  //sql stuff
}else{
  //show form
}

The keys of an array should be wrapped in quotes, otherwise PHP thinks it is a constant. Of course, if it cannot find a defined constant by that name it assumes it as a variable. None the less, this:

$_POST[date]

Should be:

$_POST['date']

And so on...

Now try changing your query to this:

$query = "INSERT INTO frontpage_news (date,content) VALUES ('".$date194."','".$content194."')";

Also! I assume you have a submit button, yes. Well, use that in the if() statement at the start:

if(isset($_POST['submit_button_name']))

I thought that $_POST[date] needed to be $_POST["date"], but things weren't working, so I changed it, and things stayed the same (and when asked to echo $_POST[date] after I'd set it, it echoed the right thing.)

Anyway, now I'm left with a blank screen.  It appears to be attempting to execute the second block of code.

Assuming you named this file "newspost", try this:

<?php
if(!isset($_POST['addNews']))
{
?>
<html>
<head></head>
<body>
<p><form action="newspost.php" method="post">
Datemarker: <input type="text" name="date" />
Content: <input type="text" name="content" />
<input type="submit" name="addNews" value="Submit" />
</form></p>
</body>
</html>
<?php
}else{//form was submitted
   $con = mysql_connect("localhost","user","pass");
   mysql_select_db("sg194", $con);
   $date194 = $_POST['date'];
   $content194 = $_POST['content'];
   $query = "INSERT INTO frontpage_news (date,content) VALUES ('$date194','$content194')";
   $result = mysql_query($sql, $con);
   mysql_close($con);

if($result){
    echo "Inserted date: $date194, $content194 into the database.";
   }else{
    echo "Query failed: ".mysql_error();
   }
}
?>

Well, it may be because you're using a reserved word (date) for your column.  could try making the query string like this:

$query = "INSERT INTO frontpage_news (`date`,`content`) VALUES ('$date194','$content194')";

I added backticks to the columns

Another thing is, it appears your columns are set to type blob.. I don't know if you did that on purpose, but I would change them to: datetime for date(use a different column name as well), and text for content.. [though it depends what you're storing]

It also appears you currently have two rows of blank data as far as I can tell.

(Sorry for the doublepost, the edit button's gone AWOL.)

Ok, I got it to submit the data now, but it's still appearing as blobs in the database.  I now have one BLOB - 8B as the date, and one BLOB - 6B as the content.  What's going on, and how do I fix it?

Sorry, I have no experience with BLOB data types.  I assume it would be the same as pulling any other data from mysql..

<?php
$sql = "SELECT columnname FROM table WHERE 1";
$result = mysql_query($sql);
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)){
  echo $row['columnname'];
}
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.