[SOLVED] Help me insert a php line into a allready made and used php script please

Kibit

I currently use this time related content php script...

<?php

$now = date("D_H:00"); 

*SNIP*
$shows['Sat_15:00']['title']="15:00 - 16:00 SHOW INFO";
$shows['Sat_16:00']['title']="16:00 - 17:00 SHOW INFO";
$shows['Sat_17:00']['title']="17:00 - 18:00 SHOW INFO";
*SNIP*

echo $shows[date("D_H:00")]['title'];  

?>

What I want/need to add is this line

<?php $point = file_get_contents('/home/*****/public_html/*****/data/sat-1500-1600.txt'); echo $point; ?>

I have tried this....

<?php

*SNIP*
$shows['Sat_15:00']['title']="<?php $point = file_get_contents('/home/*****/public_html/*****/data/sat-1500-1600.txt'); echo $point; ?>";
*SNIP*

?>

Which does not work! now as you've prob guessed by the fact I even tried that I'm not very good at this php!

So what do I need to change to make it show the info from the .txt files?

Try

<?php

*SNIP*
$point = trim(file_get_contents('/home/*****/public_html/*****/data/sat-1500-1600.txt'));
$shows['Sat_15:00']['title']= $point;
*SNIP*

?>

Ken

but the "file_get_contents('/home/*****/public_html/*****/data/sat-1500-1600.txt'));" will be differant for each hour

I know this is not going to work in my example but you should get the idea....

<?php

*SNIP*
$shows['Sat_15:00']['title']="<?php $point = file_get_contents('/home/*****/public_html/*****/data/sat-1500-1600.txt'); echo $point; ?>";
$shows['Sat_16:00']['title']="<?php $point = file_get_contents('/home/*****/public_html/*****/data/sat-1600-1700.txt'); echo $point; ?>";
$shows['Sat_17:00']['title']="<?php $point = file_get_contents('/home/*****/public_html/*****/data/sat-1700-1800.txt'); echo $point; ?>";
ETC ETC *SNIP*

?>

Remember this is just a small snippet where is says etc etc the same code continues for on the hour 7 days a week.

The idea being that I can edit the individual txt files and the info will change across the site at any point I decide to insert any particular "edit point"

Hope that makes sense

OK I'll Try....

I have several files (database may well be better but this is what's already in place and working)

Each file is just simply a plain text document example structure of these files...

sun-0000-0100.txt

sun-0100-0200.txt

sun-0200-0300.txt

and so on, a file for every hour of everyday for 7 days

These files are editable via an already in place php script so I can allow others (other admins and its in a protected area of the site) to edit online the content of each file.

Then lets say I wanted to display the contents of sunday-0000-0100.txt on 2 seperate pages of the site, no problem I simply add

<php>

<?php $point = file_get_contents('/home/*****/public_html/*****/data/sunday-0000-0100.txt'); echo $point; ?>

</php>

In the place I want the content to show on any of my pages and as its a plain text file the formatting does follow that of the page I inserted the above code into. 

That is all in place and working exactly as I need/want it to.

Now on another part of the site we have timed content using the code I provided above, here it is again...

<php>

<?php

*SNIP*

$shows['Sat_15:00']['title']="15:00 - 16:00 SHOW INFO";

*SNIP* ECT ETC every hour for 7 days *SNIP*

?></php>

So when the visitor comes to the site they are displayed correct info for that hour, this is refreshed to keep the content the correct hour when a user saying on the same page over an hour using ajax but I digress, this part is also already up and running as needed.

What I want to do for a differant area of the site is combine the 2, so the end user is delivered the content of the relivant txt file instead of the ['title']="INFO HERE" information.

Make sense?

Ok don't matter, I have sussed it....

<?php

*SNIP*
$shows['Sat_15:00']['title']= file_get_contents('/home/*****/public_html/*****/data/sat-1500-1600.txt');
$shows['Sat_16:00']['title']= file_get_contents('/home/*****/public_html/*****/data/sat-1600-1700.txt');
$shows['Sat_17:00']['title']= file_get_contents('/home/*****/public_html/*****/data/sat-1700-1800.txt');
*SNIP* ECT ETC every hour for 7 days *SNIP*

?>

Is working exactly as I wanted.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.