[SOLVED] AutoNumber

jkkenzie

Hi!

Say, i have in my mysql table a field named "id". It is an autonumber field and it is the primary key.

I woul like to know if it is possible to get the next autonumber which is going to be used to save a record.

I need to use the id field number to save something on a directory.

regards,

Joe

Because of the possibility of multiple concurrent operations, you cannot retrieve the current highest number, add one, and actually use it. If you are at the point of needing to use the next auto increment number, insert the row in the database (even if you must insert some empty fields and go back to update them later), then get the actual id that was used in that insert operation.

If you are getting this number after an INSERT method, you can do this:

mysql_query("INSERT INTO table_name (`col1`,`col2`) VALUES ('data1','data2')");
$cVal = mysql_insert_id();  // the insert number from above
$nVal = mysql_insert_id() + 1;  // the next insert number from above
echo '
Last insert id: '.$cVal.'<br>
Next insert id: '.$nVal;

I WILL be the next insert id, doesn't matter if it has been inserted or not, it still will be after what you inserted, thus being the next insert.

No, it might not be.  You are assuming that you are the only person accessing and running the script.  If you have 10 users, 100, 1000, etc... all doing stuff on your website, you have no guarantee that one (or more) didn't do something that updated your db in that time. 

Multi-tasking operating systems use interrupt driven time slicing to execute multiple tasks concurrently. Multiple concurrent requests for web pages that perform database queries cannot guarantee the order in which the database queries are executed. You cannot guarantee what an auto increment id is until after it has been assigned.

mysql_insert_id() will show the last auto_inc'd id from your personal connection stream.  It is dependable in that aspect, yes.  But you can't just add 1 to that and assume that the next one is available, because it might not be.  Someone else could have gone to a webpage on your site that inserted another row in that time, and thus, the "next available" one would really be mysql_insert_id() +2.  Get it?

mysql_insert_id() will show the last auto_inc'd id from your personal connection stream.  It is dependable in that aspect, yes.  But you can't just add 1 to that and assume that the next one is available, because it might not be.  Someone else could have gone to a webpage on your site that inserted another row in that time, and thus, the "next available" one would really be mysql_insert_id() +2.  Get it?

Completely under stand, and understood before my post.

This may be as close as you can get:

<?php
include './incl/db.php'; // Include your database connection
$tablename = "users"; // Table name of get increment
$qShowStatus = "SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE '$tablename'";
$qShowStatusResult = mysql_query($qShowStatus) or die ( "Query failed: " . mysql_error() .  $qShowStatus );

$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($qShowStatusResult);
$next_increment = $row['Auto_increment'];

echo "next increment number: [$next_increment]";
?>

Please read the first post. He wants to use the number to "save something on a directory"

And he was already told the proper way to do this so that it will work under all circumstances without needing to create a lot of special case conditions that cannot be guaranteed to work.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.