PHP4 and the use of classes

garykoz

My provider currently only supports PHP4. I have downloaded several scripts from "http://www.phpclasses.org". Most of them don't seem to work. The example script runs without an error but doesn't produce any results. I have nulled out the reference to the class file and then the example runs without producing any results. I have cut and pasted the class file into the example and it doesn't produce any results or errors.

Does any one have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

My suggestion is to switch provider (I suppose you mean web host?). If they haven't updated to PHP 5.2+ by now then they're not worth dealing with in my opinion. The difference between PHP4's and PHP5's object model is vastly different and it'll likely be really difficult if not impossible to downgrade your scripts.

Here is what I got from phpinfo()

Local    Master

Value    Value

error_reporting 2039     2039

display_errors Off     Off

Is 2039 the same as E_ALL?

How do I go about changing them?

No, you can check it in your php.ini file what it's set to and you can change it there (you'll have to restart the webserver when you've done that).

Alternatively you can add these lines to the top of the script you want to change it in:

error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', true);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.