exit() - unexpected result

Pioden

Hi folks. First off I'm having a bad day (and know it) so sorry if this turns out to be something REALLY dumb.

I'm coding a basic user authentication system - like I've done many times before. However this time things are not working in a way I expect!

For simplicity's sake lets say I have two files - index.php and session.php. Session does the authentication. In index.php I 'require_once' session.php - that works! In session.php I have just this:

<?php

session_start();

if (!isset($_SESSION["defnyddiwr"])) {

echo "login box";

exit();

}

?>

The result is that the unauthenticated user gets show 'login box' but also the HTML in index.php - exit() seems to have no effect! I was expecting the script to stop at the exit point - including index.php!!

What on earth is going wrong? I could have sworn I've used this method in the past without any problems.

Interesting! It returned this

login texttest did work

and then all the index.php stuff. No errors.

Seems like exit(); stops the execution of session.php but not index.php even though it's an  included file. Is this normal? I'm 99% sure I've used this method before without this problem.

Ahh, i'm not sure if file inclusion will exit the page you are viewing, i believe the exit works but only on the page it's in, not when included. If that makes sense,

<?php
//page 1
echo"test";
exit();
echo"stopped";
?>

<?php 
//page 2
include "page1.php";
echo "<br>test2";
?>

That code will stop anything after the exit on page 1 being sent to page 2, but the exit won't affect page 2.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.