Too many tables?

woolyg

Hey all,

How many tables are too many in a MYSQL DB, do you think? I've divided up all my info into 2-field tables, all linked by indexes. At the moment, there are about 70 tables, but that could go up to about 100. Has anyone had any issues with DBs with this amount of tables in?

Cheers,

WoolyG

It's not about having too many tables.  Although the ideal thing is to have as few tables as possible while having the utopia of a management system running, you'e still going to end up with some "table overhead" regardless.  The key thing is organization.

2 fields per table sounds horrible.  Especially for 70 of them.  That's a nightmare it seems like.  I'm not SQL genious or anything, but yeah.  gives me chills.

The answer?  Organize better.

It's just like moving out of your home.  Sure, it's great to have 70 boxes on hand, but you're not just gonna put to types of items per box.  Hats and shirts in one box.  socks and deodorants in another (mind you they're all the same sized boxes).  I hope that made sense or I'm just too tired to make analogies now.

MySQL says, there are users with more than 60000 tables in single database. As far as I know there is no hardcoded limit for that.

But zanus is right. 70 tables, each having two fileds is indicating you have some problems with your database design.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.