Apache only serves LAN side requests-help

3_jeeps

Hi:

This one has me scratching my head, any insight would be appreciated...

Installed 8.04 with the generic Apache install. Set up a few webpages in htdoc, could access from LAN side (e.g. localhost, and 192.168.0.xxx). Set up router to port forward http requests on port 80, set up domain redirect on dyndns. Worked fine for 2 months. SSH connections from LAN side and WAN side work fine as well.

Installed: Hylafax (fax server), then, to accommodate a USB modem, I did the following:

Installed linux-headers-2.6.24-19-server to

/usr/src/

I then installed the modem package:

dgcmodem_1.08_k2.6.24_19_server_ubuntu_i386.deb.zip

Ubuntu now recognizes my modem, but .....external (e.g. WAN) http requests are not displayed...e.g. the web pages dont show up in the browser when I go to my domain website (any browser).

I am trying to figure out what changed.  It *seems* to be that the above installs apparently did to prevent external web page requests. Any ideas? Any suggestions on how to begin tracking this down?

SSH still works on both LAN and WAN sides.

None of the apache config files appear to have been modified.  The error log looks normal. So what is preventing responses?

The firewall has not changed (it passed requests for 2 months). I did install postfix, sasl, courier, amavis, spamassisn, clamav, postgrey, squirrelmail, phpmyadmin, and shorewall about a month ago, but everything has been working fine.

Firefox provides the following messages:

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at ubuntuserver.homeunix.com.

Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.

* Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.

* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.

* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing

Any suggestions? This really has me baffled....

Thanks

John

Was the NO really necessary?

Anyway, something is obviously blocking it....

There are a couple of different things it could be:

-Your LAN IP changed so your router is forwarding it to the wrong computer.

-Your computer's firewall for some reason started blocking 80 incoming.

-Apache is listening on an IP only accessible from the inside.

That's about all I can think of.  Now that I think about it, you're right in thinking the firewall was a stupid suggestion.  The other computers wouldn't be able to get through (unless of course it was set only to allow that range through).

So hrmm....  One of the other two possibly?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.