[SOLVED] beginner question

eddie21leeds

hi to all from sunny leeds! my name is eddie and ive been getting in to php for a few months now... im a web designer and so far i've learned to use includes and scripted a form to mail script as well as messing about with a few framework tutorials. what i want to know is: what is the next logical step from here from a web designers point of view? - what do i learn next? are there any other tricks such as includes and the mail function that will be of use to me in the future? thanks for reading. eddie.

Better yet, do some pure database learning first (i.e. get some theory behind concepts such as relations, normalization, indexes etc). It helps a lot later on.

Definitely :D

When i learned how to use databases i knew none of that, i still know only a small amount of it.

When you have learned that, you will be able to plan and create databases that make your work a lot easier.

Edit:

Also eddie i would advise looking at code snippets and working out how they work and in effect learning new functions etc. It just so happens i have a code snippet site

http://djw-webdesign.awardspace.com/snippet.php?cat=1

That is the php section.

I would also say you should visit sites such as tizag.com and w3schools.com

I have to agree, even though I was already comfortable with MySQL I took an Intro to Databases class at the local junior college and a good foundation really helped write good SQL later on, and I even learned a few new tricks.  Learning normalization and indexing will really pay off in the long run.

• 1 month later...

There should be 'Notify' text on the right just  below the advertisments (next to 'Reply', 'Add bookmark' etc...). This subscribes you to this topic. Note however, that it will only notify you of the first reply and will not send further emails until you visit the thread.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.