What qualities constitute a "Sr. PHP Developer " title?

ryy705

Hello,

Almost all php jobs ask for a Sr.php developer.  At what point can someone refer to himself/herself with this title?

It may sound like a foolish question at first but think about it for a second; php is a versatile language.  You can be a guru of building web applications that are used to run multinational companies.  But you may not know any thing about things like mobile developments,  video social networking, etc.  You would to be 100 years old by the time you gain experience in all aspects of web/php developments.  So at point would you guys be comfortable with putting Sr.php developer title in your resume? 

Thanks in advance for answering my oddball question.

It's a judgment call, based mostly on your work history and current salary and position.

I'm the head programmer where I work, and make $60,000 a year, and have been doing this for five years, so I wouldn't let that deter me from applying for a job that asked for that. Some people might have a higher salary in mind for a senior programmer, 80k or 100k, but you might as well apply for a job and let the person hiring you make that determination.

No one is going to expect you to know every library, but they are going to expect you to be able to handle a project that uses different libraries. Some projects will ask for ffmpeg, but just as many will ask for "video conversion", and leave the details to you. It really doesn't matter if you've never used it, but it helps if you've heard of it, and helps more if your used a similar solution, and helps even more if you have a site in your portfolio that converts videos with memcoder, and you explain why you chose it over ffmpeg for that project.

When in doubt, just apply anyway. Maybe they just put it to keep the ITT grads and staples employees away :)

IMO...

To me, the difference between Jr. and Sr. is being told exactly what to code/do, where to do it, etc.. and figuring out what needs to be done, where, etc.. and delegating responsibility to the Jrs. 

In other words, your technical knowledge isn't necessarily the deciding factor between a Jr. and Sr. position. It's your ability to assume the leadership role in solving problems and making stuff happen. 

Now that's not to say that there are no lack of Jr. programmers doing what I just described the Sr. position to be.  The smaller and non-web/technical dependent the company is, the less likely they are going to employee multiple people to fill "proper" roles. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.