Best disks

jaymc

I am using a dedicated storage server to host mysql database, im just wondering, what type of disks would you reccomend and what raid

I was thinking RAID 5, 3x SATA

I know there are SAS, SCSI available

What are your thoughts, I want the best performance possible

Cheers.

The RAID setup really depends on how you feel about data recoverability, price, and performance.

What type of disks?  Well, in an ideal world, you would want name brand, highest RPM, lowest seek time, so on.  Realistically?  Get what you feel is reasonable.  I would suggest 10k+ RPM if you plan on having lots of disk IO, but those get expensive super quickly, especially if you're going to have 3 of them.

As for SATA vs SAS vs SCSI...  I would probably go with SATA.

Im just wondering how far I need to go with this

My MYSQL server will have 16GB of RAM so hopefully will not rely to much on disk

However.. I dont ever want to get to the point where I am having performance issues because I went for the cheaper 10k as apposed to sas 15k

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.