How does ftp work?

ryy705

Hello,

I always thought that in order for a server to serve files over ftp, the server must have an url in the following format:

ftp://ftp.site.com/

However, recently I have also seen ftp addresses in this format:

www.site.com

I don't know how to connect to such servers.  Command line interface doesn't work.  Firfox's fireftp keeps trying over and over until it times out.  However,  Dreamweaver connected just fine.  Does anyone know why this is or how to connect to such servers using command line interface or other free utilities?

Many thanks in advance.

FTP is a protocal. Doesn't matter if you connect via IP or some random hostname as long as that hostname reverses to the same IP that the actual FTP Service lives on.

ex:

geeklan.com

www.geeklan.com

ftp.geeklan.com

All reverse to: 208.109.240.109

I can connect via FTP to any of those addresses.

As far as other programs timing out.. sounds like an issue with the application.

By the way.. wrong forum.

Thanks for the quick response and I apologize if this is the wrong forum.

Do you know how I can connect to such server using command line?

I cannot type

ftp www.site.com

it will not work.

Which ftp utility would you recommend? I have tried many freebies.  But they have failed. 

I wish I had more time to discuss this right now.  I would have ran them and posted the error messages here.  I will do so tomorrow. 

Again, many thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.