is it possible to run php in tandem with other programming spaces as well...

mac007

Hello, all:

have a general question, is it possible to have a site run php in tandem with other programming spaces as well... like php-coldfusion, or php-asp? as in where some sections of site would be left in one language and other parts in the other...

thanks!

Technically, yes. Realistically, no.

That would also be completely retarded. Not even going to sugar-coat that statement.

EDIT:

I should say: Technically, NO. No current webserver can instantiate two parsing engines at once. But, if you were to develop a solution, yes. And it would still be retarded.

It would be full retard.

thanks Corbin... I thought one could, and I know is not best of solutions.... but happens that some pages are already written under different code; and code I write is mostly as php, preferably under linux/apache. And yes, it would definitely be something where a page would be strictly as php, and others left as whatever they might be (asp, coldfusion)..

any ideas on php-coldfusion in tandem?

Thanks!

Of course you can run multiple language sites in a single server, just not as a single file as was suggested in your original post (from my interpretation).

File is just read based on it's file extension or AddType

Better to just refactor the entire mess to avoid that (creates unnecessary overhead).

Does it really? Each page is processed on its own isn't it? (I'm honestly asking here). So the fact that one page. is .php and another page is .asp shouldn't matter - if the server is set up to parse both of them, then it should parse them at the same speed as if all the files were of the same language.

At least that's my impression. I'm not an expert in servers by any means, so I could be wrong.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.