How do I point URL to port 8080?

dlebowski

I have a server running Centos 5 and I have running a site from that server.  I need anyone browsing to www.url.com to go to www.url.com:8080.  I made a DNS entry on our network for www.url.com to point to 172.20.3.14 and that is working OK.  I just need it to somehow resolve to www.url.com:8080.  I am assuming this needs modified in the apache config, but not sure.  Any help would be great!  Thanks.

Ryan

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

The port number is part of the protocol and to use a different port than the standard one will require that the URL include the port number. You might be able to use url rewriting, but if you are going to that much trouble, you should probably just be using a subdomain or a second domain and setup virtual hosts on your server.

All I am wanting to do is have a user on our network browse to www.url.com and it redirect them to www.url.com:8080.  That will take care of my problem.  May not even be an apache related issue.  This is where I thought I'd start. 

Currently if a user MANUALLY types in www.url.com:8080 on our network, it works fine.  I just want them to be able to type in www.url.com and it take them to www.url.com:8080.

Thanks for your help.

Ryan

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.