[SOLVED] errors after opening a php file and saving it in notepad2 (without changes)

scarhand

If you told us what the errors were, someone could probably give you an answer without playing a game of twenty guesses.

If the errors are header related, it is probably because the file got saved as UTF-8 encoding with BOM (Byte Order Mark) characters at the start of the file.

the error is "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '{' in /home/site/public_html/register.php on line 1"

there isnt even a { on line 1 of the file.

i mean, i didn't even edit any code. i just opened the file and then saved it and closed it.

the filesize also shrunk after i saved it.

So, have you examined the file on the server to make sure what is in it and/or download it after saving your original file that is on your computer now (just in case the file on the server is incomplete and corrupted.)

the file on the server was complete, and it worked fine

i also have a backup of it

the problem is that when i save it in notepad2, the filesize shrinks, and it no longer works...

I did not ask what the code was before when it worked or even what it is on your computer. I asked what it actually is after you uploaded to your web server.

How are you uploading it and are you uploading in binary mode or ASCII mode?

Where are you observing the file size difference occurring? At what two points and where is the file when you are you looking at the starting and ending size? This is probably just due to spaces/tab characters.

You are going to need to attach or post the file before and the file after for anyone in a forum to be able to help you with it.

i think i know whats wrong

when i save it in notepad2 and upload it, the file goes from this:

<?php

require("head.php");

require("includes/security.php");

?>

to this:

<?phprequire("head.php");require("includes/security.php");?>

i think its because its transfering it in binary

how do i stop this from happening?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.