silght tweak of query needed please.

jasonc

this works to show the lsit of surnames if there is more than one in any group.

what i would like is to now reuse this but to have it now collect records where the 'status' of the user is 'confirmed'

i have tried to place this is the code in variuous places but not getting very far.

WHERE `status` = 'confirmed'

and also tried

AND `status` = 'confirmed'

but not sure where these should go

SELECT * FROM `table` WHERE `surname` IN (SELECT `surname` FROM `table` GROUP BY `surname` HAVING COUNT(*) > 1) ORDER BY `surname`

yep i tried that there and also somewhere else but forgot now.

say the records are so...

surname      first name      status

smith          john                confirmed

smith          peter              awaiting

jones          mary              awaiting

jones          lisa                confirmed

jones          simon              confirmed

should return.....

jones          simon              confirmed

but say the records are..

jones          simon              awaiting

it should return.....

nothing

but returns

jones          simon              awaiting

i need it to only return records where there are two or more records that have the same surname and that have also got the 'status' field set to 'confirmed'

if there are only two records for say smith, one that is confirmed and the other that is not then none of these should be returned, but if there are say three or more and two of these have the status set to confirmed and have the same surname then just those two or more are returned.

what sites can i go one that will go in great detail how this query is setup, as i really think if i could learn this method of quering i might be able to do this myself as i still trying to work out how i explain exactly what i am after.

it works but if say there are only two results, both are say 'smith' and one is 'confirmed' but the other is 'awaiting' it will stil show the 'confirmed' record, i only want records where both the surname is the same and if there are two that also both or all the records shown also have the status set to confirmed

if one is confirmed but the other record is awaiting it should not show either of them, unless there is another record with the same surname and also has the status as confirmed

what site can i learn this on

This one... there are hundreds of resources posted in the stickes on this board.

For now, try this:

SELECT * FROM `table` WHERE `surname` IN (SELECT `surname` FROM `table` WHERE `status` = 'confirmed' GROUP BY `surname` HAVING COUNT(*) > 1) AND `status` = 'confirmed' ORDER BY `surname`

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.